Visiting Professor Program, 2018-2019
The Research Center for Korean Studies of Kyushu University is pleased to announce one Visiting Professor will be recruited for the academic year of 2018-2019. Foreign specialists in the field of Korean studies who are interested in spending no more than 6 months at the Research Center for Korean Studies during the academic year of 2018-2019 (April to March), are invited to submit applications for this program.
1. All fields of the humanities & social sciences in Korean-speaking regions; or
2.Common challenges facing Japan and Korea
The Visiting Professor has the following obligations to the Center:
1. As the Center is a research institution, there are no teaching duties, but the visiting scholar is expected to be available for talks and consultation with the members of faculty and graduate students.
2. The Center will expect the Visiting Professor to give at least two formal presentations at international symposiums hosted by the Research Center for Korean Studies or other academic meetings at Kyushu University.
3. The Center will further expect the Visiting Professor to contribute an article during their stay in Fukuoka to the Center’s international refereed journal, Korean Studies, on a subject within the broad confines of Korean studies.
4. Upon the completion of the stay, the Visiting Professor is asked to submit a report on the program.
(Conditions of Awards)
The Center undertakes to provide the following:
1. One round-trip economy airfare between the place of residence and Fukuoka. Travel expenses for any dependents will not be paid.
2. A salary. It will be paid according to the professional experience and Kyushu University Regulations.
3. A reasonable accommodation arranged by the Center. The rent of the designated accommodation the cost of gas, electricity, water supply etc. must be paid by the visiting professor separately.
4. A daily commuting allowance to and from the Center.
5. An office at the Center (including a PC) and access to all university and library facilities. Secretarial service is not provided.
6. The national medical insurance will be available at the Visiting Professor’s expense.
7. The Visiting Professor is expected to spend no more than 6 months at the Center.
8. Business trip must be approved by the director.
The above-mentioned conditions are preliminary and are subject to change once the details of the program for 2018-2019 are determined.
Applicants should submit applications for this program by the deadline (February, 2, 2018). The application form is available from the website of the Center (https://rcks.kyushu-u.ac.jp/). Applicants are expected to attach at least two letters of reference: one letter from the institution to which they belong, testifying that they will be free during the duration of their stay in Fukuoka, and another, confidential letter from a recognized specialist in their field.
Applicants are required to submit their documents including the application form by POSTAL MAIL, not by Email.
The selection process will be conducted in March 2018, carefully examining the applicants’ research plans, academic achievements, possible contributions to the research projects of the Research Center for Korean Studies, and other factors.
Applicants will be informed of the selection results by the end of March 2018.
*Requesting kindly the applicants to understand that the program is still tentative due to the state budget for the next fiscal year under the discussion at the National Diet.
Correspondence concerning this program should be addressed to:
Research Center for Korean Studies, Kyushu University
6-10-1, Hakozaki, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka 812-8581, Japan